Twitter algorithms are somewhere inescapable and depend primarily on user activity and adjusted settings. To expand the Twitter community, every user tries to connect with appropriate accounts to construct meaningful relationships for their personal and business brand.
Many Users also depend on Twitter account suggestions to find interest-based profiles to broaden an account reach. This article contains details regarding the common concern of every user: How Does Twitter Suggest Who to Follow?
Keep reading to solve more related concerns like how a user can appear on other users’ accounts’ suggestions list.
How Does Twitter Find Accounts to Suggest?
Twitter’s algorithm allows it to generate personalized account suggestions based on different criteria such as-.
1. When any user uploads their contact information on Twitter, it suggests accounts of people included in the uploaded contacts having profiles on its platform.
2. Twitter utilizes additional info such as email addresses and phone numbers provided in the uploaded contacts to suggest accounts already familiar.
3. Twitter suggests accounts of people living in the user’s exact location, such as country and city.
4. More personalized suggestions related to user interest are determined by activities performed while using Twitter. Activities can include tweets they post, view, or interact with, people they follow, etc.
5. Personalized account suggestions based on users’ visits to other third-party sites included Twitter content like embedded timelines
Under the “Data sharing and off-Twitter activity” section, there’s a setting name as “Allow use of where you see Twitter content across the Web.”
Once enabled, it authorizes Twitter to show related account suggestions depending on site types.
For example– if any user views third-party sites related to sports bikes, cars, flowers, affiliate marketing, etc. Twitter will start showing suggestions for accounts posting and sharing content on similar topics.
6. Promoted Accounts Suggestions
To show Promoted Accounts suggestions, Twitter uses Follower ads. Twitter users may find these accounts interesting enough to hit the follow button. Another question that strikes users is why they view a particular account suggestion.
The answer lies in their activities like who they follow, Tweet about, search for, view, interact with, etc. All of these assist Twitter in defining a user’s areas of interest. Twitter displays Follower ads on multiple locations like Timeline under the search results and “Who to follow.”
How to Get Rid of Who to Follow on Twitter Suggestions
A user cannot stop seeing suggestions based on their interest & activities. They can still get rid of “who to follow” account suggestions using the below-discussed settings.
Email or phone number discoverability
Users can manage whether Twitter will suggest their account to others
having their email address and phone number by adjusting this particular setting. Once users turn off this setting, Twitter will not utilize their uploaded address book contacts to suggest their account to other familiar users.
Steps to adjust Email or phone number discoverability setting from the desktop.
- Open your home feed and move to the “Privacy and safety” settings under the more section.
- Click on Discoverability and contacts in the “Your Twitter activity” section.
- Here you can determine whether people with your email address & phone number will find your account on Twitter.
- If you don’t want to, uncheck both the boxes “Let people who have your email address find you on Twitter” & “Let people who have your phone number find you on Twitter.”
Account suggestions based on imported contacts
When any user uploads their contacts list on Twitter, Twitter may show these contacts in suggested accounts for them to follow. Conversely, their accounts may also appear in the suggestions of others.
When they remove any uploaded contacts, Twitter will no more show suggestions based on these contacts.
Step to remove the address book contacts for the Android Twitter app.
- On top of your screen, tap your profile icon or on the navigation menu icon.
- First, Tap on the “Settings and Privacy” and then the “Privacy and safety tab.”
- Navigate to the Discoverability and contacts section and tap on the Discoverability and contacts.
- To remove any contact, Tap on the Remove all contacts option. Give further approval by following the prompts on the screen.
- Please wait for some time as this update may take a short time.
Users accessing Twitter through Twitter.com can adjust contacts by Clicking on the More menu and following the above steps.
“Who to follow” suggests an account belonging to someone who is deceased
In this case, a user can report that particular account to Twitter. In the death events of any Twitter user, it works with the authorized individual to operate on behalf of the estate or even with the verified quick family members of the dead users for account deactivation.
Use this form to submit a request with Twitter. After the submission, Twitter sent an email asking for more details, such as information regarding the deceased, an ID copy of the person submitting the request, and the deceased’s death certificate copy.
It’s all essential to control unauthorized and false reports. Twitter keeps the shared info confidential and removes it after the review.
If I Stalk Someone on Twitter, Will I Be Suggested
It’s not sure that if you stalk someone on Twitter, it will suggest your accounts in their suggestions. Twitter finds accounts to suggest based on criteria as discussed above. There should be something common in both of your account’s interests to appear in the suggestions list.
How to Get on Twitter’s Suggested List
Here are some techniques to appear on Twitter’s suggested list.
Follow Users With Common Interests
Twitter has provided many features like Twitter threads, spaces, chats, lives, and moments which users can utilize to communicate their interests to the online community.
The more you use this platform to reveal your interests, the more you increase your chances of appearing in the recommendation of accounts with matching interests.
Users With Common Followers and Followed Accounts
Another essential element that decides who is suggested on a user’s Who to Follow section is based on common accounts and followers followed by two people.
Twitter shows a common followers list inside the Who to Follow section. Check the list of your followers, and you can find valuable accounts to increase your reach.
Twitter users advertise their favored followers & followers by using the “#FF” hashtag every Friday. You won’t get directly on the Who to Follow list even after participating.
Still, you will increase your future chances of appearing on this recommendation list by engaging with other people with matching interests.
Promote Your Account
Promoted account ads work quickly to show any account recommendation to other people depending on followers & interests.
It’s pretty simple to start an ads account and advertise your account.
Like this, you will achieve more exposure & sale for your products/services.
Twitter will continue to enhance the experience of its users by personalizing their feeds or timelines. Maintain an active presence by posting and engaging, as these are vital signals in sending & receiving more relevant account suggestions.
Users can control to see accounts of familiar people, but interest-based suggestions would continue to appear till any user is actively using Twitter.