Understanding how communication works on Hinge is really important for people looking to make meaningful connections. One such important aspect of communicating on Hinge is to know whether the other person has read your sent messages.
To know whether a delivered message has been read or not, the read receipts feature usually comes in handy. However, Hinge doesn’t have a read receipts feature in its chat presently, But not to worry, we have discovered some other ways that can work in place of read receipts. Read our complete guide below to know everything about read receipts on Hinge and other similar dating apps.
What are Read receipts?
Read receipts are notifiers or indicators that let the person sending a message know when the person receiving it has actually opened or read the message. They’re commonly seen in messaging apps, dating platforms, or social media applications. These receipts help users understand if their sent messages have been viewed and read by the person they were sent to.
When these read receipts are activated, the sender usually gets notified through a checkmark or a timestamp or a message “seen”, indicating that the person they messaged has opened and looked at the message. Usually, users get the choice to turn these read receipts on or off on the app according to their preference.
However, not all messaging platforms provide read receipts. Even when available, users might have the option to switch off this feature. They may do this to maintain their privacy or to keep others from knowing when they’ve seen a message. So this feature is not effective always in indicating whether your delivered message has been read or not.
Does Hinge have read receipts?
The answer is no. Hinge doesn’t provide its users the option to benefit from read receipts on Hinge messages presently.
This means that when you send a message, you won’t know if the person you messaged has read it, and they won’t be notified when you’ve read their message. However, Hinge offers other features to keep conversations active. One of these is the “Your Turn” feature, which lets you know when it’s your turn to reply to a conversation.
Additionally, there’s the “Last Active” feature, which shows an approximate time indicating when someone was last using the app. If someone was frequently active on Hinge after you have sent them the message, it’s most likely they have read your message. These features give you an idea of your matches’ activity without specifically showing if your messages have been read.
How other dating apps handle read receipts
Different dating apps deal with the Read receipts feature differently. While some offer it to all its users, others do not offer it all.
And there are others who offer the read receipts feature in the form of paid plans apart from their premium subscriptions. Thus, there is no universally accepted behavior of dating apps when we talk about how they handle read receipts.
We have compiled a list of some popular dating apps to throw light on how they handle read receipts on their platform:
- Tinder: Tinder offers a read receipts feature as part of a premium paid feature, separate from even the paid subscription plus or gold plans of Tinder. When a user has a match and desires to activate read receipts, they have the option to purchase at least five read receipts at a time. This feature essentially allows users to know when their messages have been read by their match in a particular chat.
- Bumble: Similar to Hinge, bumble does not offer the read receipts features. The feature is neither available for regular users nor the ones on paid subscriptions.
- OkCupid: On OkCupid, there isn’t an automatic feature that notifies you when someone reads your messages. However, the platform offers Read Receipts for a price. Users can buy different paid plans for read receipts featuring 1, 5, or 20 read receipts each in a plan. Through these packs, you’ll have the ability to choose specific conversations where you want to enable the read receipts.
- Match.com: The platform does not offer read receipts to its regular users but provides them in the form of paid packs of 5, 10, and 20 to users who are willing to buy them.
- eHarmony: Being one of the unique dating apps, eHarmony offers read receipts to all its users as one of its basic features. Thus, you can know whether your delivered message has been read in the matches section of the app for all your chats and you do not need to pay a fee to avail of the feature.
Does Hinge Have Read Receipts for Voice Messages
Hinge currently does not provide the feature of reading receipts for voice messages even though it allows users to exchange voice notes with one another. There isn’t any mechanism in place within the app presently to confirm whether the recipient has listened to the voice message you sent them.
In conclusion, we see that Hinge does not offer read receipts at all unlike some of its other counterparts. Thus, there isn’t any designated way to know when someone has read your message, however with the points we have discussed above you can get a rough idea about whether your delivered messages have been read or not.
Moreover, not having read receipts has its own perks as you are not immediately obligated to reply to a message you have read. Also, not knowing if someone has read your message does not make you feel ignored.
Ensure to make the best use of Hinge features and don’t gloat over what is not there. Lastly, do not obsess over wanting a reply after you have sent a message, and be patient with your matches on Hinge.