“Read receipts” notify you when someone has viewed your message. Since many of us are either unavailable at the time or too busy to respond to every text right away, we may wish to turn off read receipts on Instagram. It could be challenging to do this because Instagram displays “seen” in the conversation every time you view a message, alerting the receiver.
Although there isn’t an official option that lets you disable Instagram read receipts, this does not preclude you from reading a message privately. Do you want to know how to disable read receipts on Instagram? Continue reading further to know all the steps we have jotted down in this blog!
What Are Instagram Read Receipts and How Do They Work?
Instagram read receipts are notifications that let other people know when their text has been read. Instagram marks a message as “seen” when a chat or DM is opened, letting the sender know that it has been viewed.
Can You Turn Off Read Receipts on Instagram?
No, read receipts cannot be turned off on Instagram. However, a hack is available by activating Airplane Mode on your Android or iPhone, mentioned further in this blog.
Are There Read Receipts on Instagram?
Instagram’s “seen” feature is akin to the read receipts feature. Instagram read receipts are a useful tool for monitoring who has viewed your conversations, but they may also be a little intrusive. There is a simple technique to disable read receipts if you don’t like having them enabled.
How to Turn Off Read Receipts on Instagram
The Airplane mode is your greatest buddy when you want to disable read receipts on Instagram on your PC, Android device, or even iPhone! Disable read receipts from any device by following these easy instructions.
Turn Off Read Receipts on Instagram Pc
Log out and activate airplane mode.
- Open the Instagram app and select “Messenger” from the “Home” page’s top right corner.
- Find the Icon for Instagram messages and swipe down your phone’s top portion after seeing your message inbox to see the Notifications panel.
- “Airplane Mode” may be activated from the Notifications panel. Your phone will immediately disconnect from the internet you currently access once airplane mode is activated. You can disable Wi-Fi or mobile data so that your phone does not automatically connect to a nearby internet source to stay safe.
- You may return to your inbox and tap on the message you wish to view when airplane mode is active.
You can read the message in this way without alerting the sender that you have done so.
Turn off Active Status
Disabling active status is another way to disable read receipts. The “show when you are active together” button will likewise be disabled if the “Show Activity Status” button is turned off.
By doing this, the read receipts will be disabled, and neither user can see when the other is online on Instagram. The steps to disable your Instagram “Active” status are shown below.
- Tap the “profile” icon after launching the Instagram app.
- Click the hamburger menu with three horizontal lines in your profile’s upper right corner. Click or tap “Settings.”
- Locate and choose the “Privacy” option.
- Select the “Activity Status” button from the “Privacy” menu by touching it once.
- Press the “Privacy” menu once to choose the “Activity status” button.
- After this, you can follow the same steps used to turn off read receipts on PC, with the help of airplane mode!
How to Turn Off Read Receipts on Instagram iPhone
It is now possible to turn off read receipts on the Instagram iPhone app. It’s a simple and time-saving hack to be followed in just a few steps:
- Open the Instagram application
- To view your chats, hit the messaging icon.
- Wi-Fi or cellular data should all be off, and airplane mode is to be activated.
- Check your messages by opening them.
- Send a message, then close the DMs and go back to your profile.
- Logout from your account.
- Switch off airplane mode. Enable Wi-Fi or mobile data instantly.
- Launch the Instagram application and sign into your account.
How to Turn Off Read Receipts on Instagram Android
Turning off read receipts on Instagram Android is not any difficult either; it’s all about following the same steps used for iPhones:
- Tap the DM option after starting the Instagram app.
- Airplane mode should be turned on, and neither Wi-Fi nor cellular data should be active.
- Open your messages and look them through.
- Close the window after checking your message and return to your profile.
- Log out from your Instagram account and turn off airplane mode.
- Instantly enable mobile data or Wi-Fi.
- Open the Instagram app and log into your account.
This trick will not show “seen” even after you have viewed any text on Instagram.
Instagram doesn’t provide straightforward read receipt tick marks as WhatsApp, and other social media apps do; it’s possible to turn off read receipts on Instagram with the help of airplane mode. Once you read the texts by turning on airplane mode, they will not be marked as “seen.”
The bottom line is, although read receipts can be a useful feature, it depends on us whether or not we want to use them. How do you feel about read receipts? Don’t hesitate to share it with us!