The introduction of a cross-messaging feature enabled all device users to reply to a specific message on Instagram in their Dm inbox. This feature functions in a similar way to WhatsApp and Facebook messenger.
It becomes easy for the receiver to understand which specific Instagram message the sender has replied to. Keep reading to explore the steps on How to reply to a specific message on the Instagram app and website for android and iPhone devices.
How to Reply to a Specific Message on Instagram From iPhone
Use the following steps to respond to a specific message on Instagram from your iPhone.
- Locate the Instagram app on your iPhone.
- Open it.
- Login to your account.
- You will see your refreshed home feed if you have already logged in.
- On your feed, Tap on the messenger icon in the upper right corner to open the Instagram messages.
- From the different conversations, Open the Instagram direct message inbox of the specific user to whom you want to reply.
- Once you find that specific message, swipe it on the right side.
- Tap on the “respond” icon. Type your message into the text input box that appears below the swiped message.
- Further, you can type your reply message by holding the sender’s message. You can choose from colorful chat themes, custom emoji reactions, animated message effects, and selfie stickers to add to your message.
- Now, the sender’s message will attach to your replied message. After typing your reply, tap on the “send” option.
- In the same way, you can also reply to any specific voice message, image, emoji, and sticker in your message box.
How to Reply to a Specific Message on Instagram From Android
Steps to reply to the specific Instagram messages from an Android device.
- Open the Instagram app.
- Login to your account.
- Your home feed will load.
- Tap on the “Messenger“ icon or the Instagram direct messages icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Open the inbox or conversation with the specific Instagram message you want to reply to.
- Locate the specific message.
- Tap on it and slide towards the right. A text input box will appear below this swiped message. The selected message will highlight so you can distinguish it as a replied message on Instagram.
- Type your reply into the box. You can use emojis in your message to express your emotions.
- Tap on “Send.”
- Your sent message will attach with the replied one.
How to Reply to a Specific Message on Instagram From a PC
Instagram users can find the same direct messaging feature to reply to specific messages on their PCs. You are already aware that you can’t access the Instagram app on your PC.
You will open your Instagram account in a web browser. You can reply to any private or group conversation.
Follow the below steps to reply to a specific Instagram message from PC.
- Open any browser on your pc.
- Visit the official Instagram site – www.instagram.com.
- If you are opening your Instagram account for the first time, it will ask you to log in.
- Enter your Username and name.
- If you have already log in, The Home feed will appear.
- The layout of Instagram is different on the pc or laptops.
- Here, you can access the messenger features at a different location, i.e., on top of the screen.
- Click on the “messenger icon” located at the top of the screen next to the home feed button.
- Scroll the conversations.
- Open the inbox of any user to whom you want to reply.
- Once you find the specific message on your screen, look for the “three horizontal dots” icon alongside this message next to the arrow icon.
- Click on three dots.
- From the different available options, click on “Reply.”
- Type your message in the input text box attached with this swiped message.
- Click on the “Send” option.
- The sender will receive a notification about your sent message on Instagram.
How Do You Reply to a Specific Message on Instagram Group Chat?
Whether you want to reply to a specific message of a private or group discussion, the steps are the same.
- Open the Instagram app on your phone. Your Instagram feed will appear first.
- Tap on the direct message or messenger icon at the upper right corner of your screen.
- Open the group chat where the particular message you want to reply to is present.
- Once you find the message, swipe it toward the right side of the screen.
- You will find the same text input box attached below the swiped message.
- Enter your reply for sending a specific user.
- Tap on the “Send” option.
Instagram Direct Messaging FAQs
Here are solutions to a few queries and issues you can encounter using the reply feature.
Can I Reply to Any Message on Instagram?
Yes, this new Instagram feature works for both private and group chats. Group conversations usually contain long texts sent by all the members.
This feature makes Long conversations meaningful as you can directly respond to the specific message of a particular sender. To reply, you just have to swipe on the message.
If the Recipient Replies to My Response, Will It Show My Reply First?
Yes, Instagram will show your response first because you have sent this before the recipient. All the responses will highlight in the same order they are sent. If you swipe over any message, it will be visibly attached below the sender’s message.
Why Can I Not Reply to a Specific Message on Instagram?
We can think of two possible reasons why you fail to reply to a specific message on Instagram dm.
1. The sender has blocked your Instagram account.
2. You have an outdated Instagram app on your device – In 2020, Instagram introduced the “cross-app messaging” feature that helped its users reply to specific messages. You won’t get the reply feature when you are not using the updated version, even if you try to swipe on any message.
To access this feature, head to the play store and update your app. Once you update, you will see an “Introducing Cross-App Messaging” banner at the top of your Instagram feed. Open this notification. Tap on the “Update” button. If you still don’t get the reply feature, follow these next steps.
- Tap on the “Instagram Settings.” option on your Profile page.
- Tap on the “Update Messaging” at the top of your screen.
- A new page says, ‘There’s a new way to message on Instagram.’
- Tap on the “Update.”
- Once you update this messaging feature, The Dm icon will be replaced with the messenger icon on the top right corner of your timeline.
Do you like this news or article? Please, share it on your social media handles and let us know on Twitter: we love hearing your feedback!