Instagram users often follow certain Instagram accounts whose posts they do not want to see regularly. And they even find it rude to unfollow that Instagram accounts outrightly.
Thus, Instagram understood this dilemma of the users and introduced its mute feature. To explain more about the feature, we bring you this article on how to tell if someone has muted you on Instagram.
The mute feature gives Instagram users the autonomy to control the kind of Instagram posts and Instagram stories that will appear on their feeds regularly.
Besides, muting on Instagram is a silent affair. The platform does not notify the muted Instagram accounts that one of their followers has muted them.
However, there might still be some ways to tell if someone has muted you on Instagram. Let us explore.
What does mute mean on Instagram?
Muting an account on Instagram means that their Instagram stories and posts are hidden from your feed. The simplest way to explain this is that for instance, you are having an unwanted conversation and you politely excuse yourself from the situation without telling anyone you are uncomfortable. So, muting on Instagram is just like a polite excuse to not see someone’s Instagram content.
The best part about the feature is the person who has been muted is not notified by Instagram. Thus, you can be saved from any awkward situation that muting someone might create.
What happens when you mute someone on Instagram
If you mute someone on Instagram, you will still follow them. Besides, you can even access their Instagram account and all of their Instagram content. However, you will not be notified when they post a new Instagram post or a new Instagram story.
Now you know whenever someone posts a new Instagram post, it appears on your homepage feed. Once you mute someone, their Instagram posts and Instagram stories will not appear on your homepage feed. Thus, you will not get periodic updates about the person and their life.
The mute option lets you personalize your feed by viewing content only from the Instagram accounts you want to see. Please note that you might still be notified of certain Instagram posts when the person tags you in an Instagram post or post a comment about you.
Moreover, you can also mute someone’s Instagram stories only if you want. Muting Instagram stories does not mute Instagram posts. If you just mute someone’s Instagram stories, their Instagram posts, reels, etc. will still appear on your feed. Whatever you do, they will not be notified of it.
How to tell if you’ve been muted on Instagram
The popular aspect of the mute feature is that the muted person is never notified if they have been muted by someone. Thus, you won’t be able to tell if you’ve been muted on Instagram using the Instagram platform itself.
There are, however, some indirect ways that users have used time and again to figure out if someone has muted them on Instagram. Read more about these ways and see if any of them works for you:
- Decrease in engagement: If the person earlier used to interact a lot with your Instagram posts or stories and suddenly has stopped, it might mean you have been muted by the person.
- Keep a Tab on your Instagram story viewers: You can also periodically keep a check on who is viewing your Instagram story. If you believe someone has muted you and you observe that they are no longer viewing your Instagram story, it might mean that they have muted your Instagram account.
- Keep a tab on their Instagram Activity: If you know that person is using Instagram regularly and interacting with others’ Instagram posts like liking their photos or commenting on their reels but they are not at all engaging with your content, there is a possibility you have been muted.
- Close friend list: People even use the Instagram close friend list method to check if someone has muted them or not.
- For this method to work, add the person to your close friend, Here are the steps for it: Open Instagram and “Login”> Tap on your “Profile Picture” in the bottom right corner> Tap “three-horizontal lines”> Choose “Close Freinds”> Now add the person you want to add> Tap “Done” and your changes will be saved.
Now once the person is in your Instagram Close friends list, post an Instagram story to check if they view it or not. If they do not view the Instagram story for an entire day and you know the person has used Instagram, then there is a possibility you have been muted.
Please note that these methods do not guarantee any success and it might be subjective whether they are useful or not. If you really want to know if someone has muted you or not, it is always better to directly ask them. It might sound difficult to do but it will give you certainty.
Is There an App to See Who Muted You on Instagram
Third-party apps and platforms often allow Instagram users to do certain things that the platform may not allow. Thus, seeing who muted on Instagram using a thor party is very much possible.
You can know if someone has muted your Instagram posts using third-party apps. Some of the suggested apps that we recommend are “Instagram Analytics” or Instagram Insights”.
You can download these apps on your device from the app store. Please note that using these apps and their features might require you to pay some money.
After you install these apps, you can use their” Ghost followers” or “least engaging followers” feature to know if someone has muted you on Instagram. If you see anyone on the list, it is probable that they have muted you on Instagram.
However, these things also depend on whether the person is active or inactive on Instagram. If you know they are active, there is a high chance they have muted you if they are on the Ghost followers” or “least engaging followers” list.
Also, note there is a possibility this method and the App’s feature might not work for Instagram stories. If it does not work, you can always add them to a close friend list or keep a tab on your Instagram story viewers. We have discussed both these methods above in detail. If you want to know more, please have a look.
If Someone Muted Me on Instagram Can I Still See Their Stories
If you think someone has muted you, you will still be able to see their Instagram stories. Someone muting you will not affect the content that appears on your Instagram app. All their Instagram posts, stories, etc will appear absolutely in a normal way to you.
How to Know if Someone Muted You on Instagram Stories
Instagram will not allow you to directly know if someone muted you on Instagram. However, you can use any of the following to check if you have been muted:
- If someone used to engage a lot with your Instagram posts or stories but suddenly stopped, it could mean they have muted you.
- Keep checking who is viewing your Instagram story regularly and if someone’s name stops appearing, it means they have muted you.
- Additionally, if you notice that they are active on Instagram and engaging with other people’s Instagram posts but not yours, they may have muted you.
- Some people also use the Instagram close friend list method to check if someone has muted them. Add the person to your Instagram close friends and post an Instagram story. If the person does not view it, it is highly likely your Instagram account has been muted.
Note- Here’s how to add someone to your Instagram close friends list- Open Instagram and “Login”> Tap on your “Profile Picture” in the bottom right corner> Tap “three-horizontal lines”> Choose “Close Freinds”> Now add the person you want to add> Tap “Done” and your changes will be saved. The person is now in your Instagram close friends list.
- Use the “Ghost followers feature of third-party apps like “Instagram Analytics” or Instagram Insights” to see if someone has muted you.
The guide tells you about the mute feature and how it works. We have mentioned earlier there isn’t a direct way to tell if you have been muted on Instagram. However, we hope the tips and methods mentioned here work for you.