Well, if you are a continuous user of Twitter then, you must be aware of the annoying retweets that fill up the whole feed with random tweets. A retweet is an action on Twitter that can be used to repost someone else’s tweet on your own profile.
Retweets from people that we follow fill the whole feed with tweets from accounts that we don’t even know. And trust me, it gets quite annoying when you have to scroll through hundreds of retweets that you don’t find interesting.
Well, now there is a solution to fix this issue, users can now turn off retweets on Twitter which means, you’ll be able to see the tweets from all accounts but not their retweets.
This feature really helps tone down unnecessary content from the feed. Unfortunately, you can’t turn off retweets of all accounts that you follow at once. You will have to manually disable retweets from each profile individually. In this article, I am going to tell you how you can do so.
- How to Turn off Twitter Retweets on Desktop
- How to Turn off Twitter Retweets in the mobile app
- What to do if Turn off retweets not working?
How to Turn off Twitter Retweets on Desktop
Firstly, let us see how one can turn off retweets on Twitter while using it on a desktop/laptop. The process is quite simple and includes only a few steps:
1. Open Twitter on your web browser and then log into your account using your credentials.
2. Then, head to the profile of the person you would like to disable retweets.
3. On their profile, you will see three-four buttons lined up right beside the profile icon. Click on the circular icon with three dots in it.
4. A drop-down menu will appear, click on the first option which is labeled ‘Turn off Retweets’. That’s it, you will no longer be able to view their retweets on your feed.
How to Turn off Twitter Retweets in the mobile app
Now, if you are somebody who uses Twitter on your mobile device via their mobile app then, here’s how you can turn off retweets of the accounts you follow. However, remember to repeat the process for all the accounts you’d like to disable retweets.
As you can’t turn off retweets of all the accounts you follow at once, it’s a tedious process but worth it in the end.
1. Open the Twitter app on your mobile device.
2. Search and open the account’s profile page you would like to turn off retweets.
3. If you are using an Android phone then, click on the overflow icon or the vertical-three dots icon located at the top-right corner of the profile.
And then, tap on the ‘Turn off Retweets’ option from the drop-down menu that appears.
4. And if you are using an iOS device then, click on the gear-like icon which would be placed right beside the profile icon among other buttons.
And then, tap on the ‘Turn off Retweets’ option from the menu that appears.
What to do if Turn off retweets not working?
Several users have reported that the ‘turn off Retweets’ option is not working on their account and that they continue to receive retweets from accounts on their feed.
Well, this could be a technical glitch and can be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the app itself. And then, perform the process once again.
Or you can also try, rebooting your mobile device to see if that is causing some technical issues. And you need to remember that once you disable retweets from an account, it will not remove the pre-existing retweets of that account from your feed.
However, you will no longer see their retweets on your feed.
Can you disable retweets?
Yes, users can disable retweets on Twitter; however, one can’t disable retweets from all the accounts they follow at once. Users will have to separately disable retweets of one account at a time. You have to click on the ‘Turn off Retweets’ option to do so.
How do I turn off retweets to everyone?
You can’t turn off retweets to everyone in one click as Twitter has not developed a feature for the same yet. However, there are a few web extensions and commands that can help you in doing so but you’ll have to research yourself.
Can someone see if you turn off retweets?
Nope, if you turn off retweets of an account, they will not be notified about the same. You will not be able to view their retweets on the feed nor will you receive notification of those retweets.
Twitter removes retweets from the timeline? What does this mean?
As soon as you turn off retweets from a particular account, Twitter will remove their retweets from your timeline. As you have manually turned off their retweets which means, you no longer want to view their retweets on your feed and thus, Twitter adheres to the demand by removing them from your timeline.
I hope this article helped you in understanding the process of how you can turn off retweets of accounts that you follow so that you can only view their original tweets on your feed.
We have mentioned how one can perform the process on a laptop/desktop and on mobile devices as well.
We have also cleared several frequently asked questions around retweets and if one can disable them. I hope you liked reading this article and found it useful!