Sometimes after posting stories on Instagram, we might have second thoughts about them. In that scenario, waiting 24 hours for the story to disappear feels like an eternity.
What if we tell you that deleting stories is extremely straightforward? Yes, you heard it right. Bid farewell to all those irrelevant stories with the help of this article.
Here we will discuss how to delete an Instagram story and walk you through all the steps. And thus you can maintain a well-organized profile like you always wanted.
How to Delete Instagram Story on Iphone
Instagram users are often faced with the dilemma of how to delete Instagram story on Iphone. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- “Login” to your Instagram account on the app.
- On the homepage, at the top left corner, you will see a circle around your profile picture. Tap on it to open your story.
- Tap on the “three dots (…)” or “More” option available at the bottom right corner of the story.
- Select “Delete” from the list of options. If your Instagram account is linked to Facebook and you have shared the story on both platforms Select the “Delete from both” option. If not, just select “Delete from Instagram”.
How to Delete Instagram Story Android
Ever pondered how to delete Instagram story android? Well, we have the answer here for you. It is very much similar to deleting a story on iPhone.
This is what you need to do-
“Login”>Tap on your story in the top left corner(circle around your display picture)>Tap “three dots(…)” or “More” in the bottom right> “Delete from both” Or “Delete from Instagram”.
Your story is now deleted from your android Instagram account.
How to Delete Instagram Story on Computer/web
If you are using Instagram on Laptop or PC, here’s what you need to do to delete the story:
- “Login” to your Instagram account on the web.
- In the top right corner, you will notice your “Profile Picture” and a circle around it. Tap on it to open the story.
- Once the story is opened, tap on “three dots” in the bottom right corner.
- Select “Delete” and your story will be thus removed from the account.
How to Delete Instagram Story After Posting
To delete an Instagram story after posting it, follow these steps:
- Open Instagram and “Login” to your account.
- If you are on mobile, look for a circle around your display picture in the top left corner. If you are on the web browser, locate your story as a circle around your profile picture in the top right corner.
- Once you open the story, tap on the “three dots(…)” in the bottom right corner of the story.
- Select “Delete” and confirm it once again. Thus, the story is deleted from your account.
How to Delete Instagram Story for Everyone
Deleting an Instagram story from everyone is the same as deleting a story after posting. These are the steps you need to follow:
“Login”>Open your posted story> Tap on “three-dots(…) in the bottom-right> Select “Delete” and confirm it to remove the story for everyone.
How to Delete Instagram Story Highlights
You might be looking for how to delete Instagram story highlights. Look no more:
- Open your Instagram account.
- Go to your “Profile page”. If you are on the app, tap on your display picture in the lower right corner of the home screen. If you are on a laptop or PC, look for the profile option on the left-hand side of the screen. It is usually around the bottom left corner.
- Below your bio section, you will see your highlights.
- Tap on the highlight cover from which you want to delete a story.
- From the “three-dot (…)” menu, choose “remove from highlight”. Confirm the action once again and the story highlight is deleted.
How to Delete Instagram Story After 24 Hours
After 24 hours, your story will be saved in your Archives. This is all you need to delete a story after 24 hours:
- Open your Instagram app and “Login” to your account.
- Search for your “Profile Picture” in the bottom right corner of the home screen.
- Locate the “three lines” in the top right corner and tap on them.
- From the list, choose the option “Archive”.
- The drop-down menu on top would display “Stories Archive”. If not, select the option from the menu.
- Search for the story you “want to delete and select it.
- Tap on “three-dots(…)”/ ”More” in the lower right corner.
- Choose “Delete” twice, first from the list of options and second when the pop-up appears. Voila, the story is deleted!
How to Recover Instagram Deleted Story
Once you delete your story, you can still recover it. With its “recently deleted” section, now you will be able to restore all your deleted content. You can restore archived stories up to 30 days and unarchived stories can be resorted to up to 24 hours.
To recover deleted stories, follow these steps:
- Open Instagram and look for your Profile picture in the bottom right corner. Tap on it to open your profile.
- On your profile, tap on “three lines” in the top right corner.
- Select “Your Activity” from the options.
- After that, choose “Recently Deleted”.
- On top, choose the option “Stories” from the drop-down menu. Locate the story you want to restore and open it.
- Tap “three-dots(…)” in the top right and then choose “Restore” to recover the story.
Why is My Instagram Story Not Deleting After 24 Hours
This might happen due to a technical error or a glitch. Here’s how you can fix it:
- Ensure your device is properly connected to the internet.
- Clear the cache of the Instagram app and it might resolve the issue.
- Make sure you are using the latest version of Instagram and install all recent updates.
- Close the app and login back in once again.
If nothing works, constant Instagram support and report the error. If you also want to remove the story from the archive you can also do the same. We have listed the steps above for you.
How to Remove Instagram Story Without Deleting
You might think there is an easy option for how to remove an Instagram story without deleting it. It is not easy to just remove it, however, you can hide your story. This way you won’t have to delete it.
Here’s how you can hide the story:
- Open the Instagram app and ensure you are logged in.
- On the homepage, tap to go to your profile by clicking on your display picture at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- On your profile, tap on “three-line” in the top right corner.
- Choose “Settings”>” Privacy”>” Story”.
- On top of your screen, you will see the option “Hide story from”. Tap on it.
- Now select the list of people from whom you want to hide your story. This way they will not be able to see your story and you don’t have to delete it.
You can choose any number of people from whom you want to hide the story. There is no limit.
If I Delete an Instagram Story Will It Stay in My Archive
If you delete your story, it will not stay in your archive. However, it will be visible for 30 days in the “Recently Deleted” section of Instagram if it has been archived. If it has not been archived, it will stay for 24 hours.
From the “Recently Deleted” section you can restore it. Be mindful that you can only restore it for a limited period of time. After that, it is permanently removed.
How to Delete a Sticker on Instagram Story
You might be wondering how to delete a sticker on an Instagram story. This is what you can do to delete a sticker on the Instagram story before posting it:
- Open your Instagram account.
- Swipe left and choose “Create”.Once you have chosen the Photo/video and other elements, add the sticker you want to apply.
- If you are not happy with the sticker, you can remove it. To remove a sticker, select it and drag it down to the bottom of the screen. It will be deleted.
You might want to remove a sticker that is a part of some picture or video you want to post on your story. In that case, use third party-apps of your choice to edit or photoshop that sticker. Some suggested options are TouchRetouch App, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, inPixio, etc.
How to Delete a Story on Instagram That is Uploading/before It Uploads
Unfortunately, you cannot delete a story on Instagram, that is uploading or before it uploads. You will have to wait for the story to be posted to remove it. As soon as it is posted, you can delete the story from the “three-dots” menu in the bottom right corner of your screen.
However there are certain hacks that people use to delete a story from Instagram, Here are a few of them:
- Turn on airplane mode: Once your phone is in airplane mode, Instagram will lose its network. Now you can tap on your story and click on “three-dots” in the bottom right corner. Now you might see the” Discard post” option to delete the story.
- Clear Storage: You can clear cache or app data and the uploading might be canceled.
However, these methods may not work all the time. In that case, delete the story as soon as it uploads.
How to Delete a Story Reaction on Instagram
Sometimes it happens you have reacted to a story and you want to now delete the reaction. We will tell you the easiest way how to delete a story reaction on Instagram:
- Swipe right on your homepage, to go to “Direct messages”.
- Open the chat of the person to whose story you reacted.
- Select and hold the reaction message.
- Tap “Unsend” and the reaction will be deleted.
How to Delete Part of a Story on Instagram
It is not feasible to remove a specific portion of an Instagram story once it has been posted. The only solution is to delete the entire story and recreate it with the content you desire. To delete a story, tap on the three dots in the upper right corner of the story and choose “Delete.” Remember, once a story is deleted, it can’t be recovered.
How to Delete a Story Draft on Instagram
To delete a story draft on Instagram-
- Tap on “Your Story” on the homepage. It will be visible in the top-left of your screen.
- Swipe up and search for option “draft” next to option camera/gallery.
- Select the story and choose the option” Delete” from the “three-dot” icon.
- Confirm the action once again and it will be deleted.
How to Delete a Question on Instagram Story
To delete a question on the Instagram story, do the following-
- Open Instagram.
- Swipe left to open the story camera.
- Create your story as per your needs.
- Add the question sticker to your story.
- If you want to remove the sticker, tap on it and then drag it down to the bottom of the screen.
- Once done, share the story with your follower
How to Delete a Story From Archive on Instagram
Stories after being posted for 24 hours get saved in your Archives. Now imagine seeing your old stories from archives and you don’t feel good about them. You start searching for how to delete the story from archives on Instagram and find nothing. This won’t happen anymore with us being here for you.
This is how you can delete the story from archives- Login>Go to your profile> “Three lines” icon on top right corner>” Archive”>” Stories Archive”>Choose the story> Select ”Delete” and confit the action.
When You Delete a Story on Instagram Does It Show?
After the story is deleted, it will not show on your profile. But it will be there in the “Recently deleted” section.
Why Can’t I Delete My Instagram Story?
There can be many reasons why can’t you delete your Instagram story. If this is the case, check your internet connection. Besides, clear the cache and make sure all updates are installed. If nothing is working out, report the problem to Instagram and they would sort it.
How Long Does a Story Stay Up After You Delete It?
Usually, the story gets deleted immediately. Sometimes there might be a technical error. In that case, try to clear the app cache, check your internet connectivity and install all relevant updates. If nothing works, contact Instagram support.
Can Anyone See a Deleted Story?
No, Once a story is deleted, it is not visible to anyone.
When You Delete a Story Where Does It Go?
Once you delete a story it goes to the “Recently Deleted” section of Instagram. It stays for 30 days if it is an archived story. If it is not an archived story, then it will stay there for 24 hours.
Can People See My Story After I Delete It?
No, people will not be able to see your story after you delete it. It is removed from your account. However, if you want to restore it, you can do it from the “Recently Deleted” section. Once restored, people will be able to see it.
What Happens When Someone Deletes a Story?
If someone deletes a story it is no longer visible to anyone. It is permanently removed from their profile.