Initially, you can upload a video of up to 30 seconds long on Twitter. Maximum video length for a standard Twitter user is 140 seconds or 2 minutes and 20 seconds. This means now you can also upload a video longer than 2 minutes on Twitter increased by Twitter Later in 2016.
If you are using twitter’s professional publisher tool you can post videos up to 10 minutes long. But to do that you need to take approval from twitter. To know more about that keep reading.
Since 2016, more than 50% of users are posting video tweets and 90% of the people watch twitter videos on Mobile phones. More people want to share video content on twitter now more than ever.
But there is a way out to upload videos longer than 30 seconds on Twitter. Generally, people don’t even know that this option exists because twitter has only made it available for business accounts.
Check The Eligibility Of Your Twitter Account
The first thing you should do is identify what your profile options are and make your account eligible to tweet videos longer than 30 seconds. So let’s get started:
1. Click on the Avi option i.e. An avatar of Twitter. You might call it the Twitter Profile Picture.
2. From the dropdown menu, Select Twitter Ads, or go to ads.twitter.com
3. If this is the first time that you are using Twitter Advertising, then you will have to enter your credit card details.
Although you will enter your credit card details, but not a penny will be charged to upload the videos. You can use Twitter Media Studio Tool or go to studio.twitter.com to publish the longer videos for your Business account. So relax and go ahead with further steps.
4. Once your card details are updated in your Twitter account, you will get a few additional options. In the top menu bar Click on the ‘Creatives’ tab.
5. From the dropdown menu click on Video.
6. A popup will appear with the Twitter Video Player Terms. Just agree to the terms and click on Proceed.
Upload Video To Twitter Video Dashboard
Now that your account is ready, you can go ahead and upload your video to your Twitter account:
7. Once, you will reach the Video Section, You will be able to see all the videos that you ever uploaded from your account.
On the right side, you will see a long green button that says ‘Upload your video’ and if it is the first time that you are uploading a video on Twitter then for you the button will say ‘Upload your first video’.
On the right side, you will see a long button that says ‘Upload your video’ and if it is the first time that you are uploading a video on Twitter then for you the button will say ‘Upload your first video’.
8. Click on the button and select a video from your computer to upload. Make sure that you own the rights to the video.
9. Based on the Size and the format of the video, the video will take time to upload.
For a Personal account, the video file size allowed to upload is limited to 512 MB while for a business account it is 1 GB. Twitter currently supports MP4 video format with an H264 format and AAC audio on the mobile application.
Also, take into account the fact that Twitter takes more time to upload videos than any other Social Media platform. When we say upload, that means the video will be available to your account. You still have a few more steps to follow, to post the video as a tweet. For now, the video will be visible only to you in the “Video Section” and will be marked as ‘Not Tweeted’.
Compose and Publish the Tweet
10. To tweet the video, Click on ‘Compose Tweet’
11. Now the dialog box will appear with a few fields to add to your tweet. It will help target the right audience. Below are the fields that you will find on the Compose Tweet dialog box:
- Compose a Tweet (The Tweet body – 140 characters)
- Add title
- Add description
- Add a call to action
12. Once completed filling the information, you can tweet either by Standard delivery or as a Promoted-only.
The Promoted-only is a paid service for that you need to run ads and will let new users see your tweet.
13. Click on Preview and see what your tweet will look like. If satisfied, go back and publish the Tweet.
14. Now, the tweet that you have put together will be out for all your followers to see.
We will suggest you limit the size of the video to 512 MB for better resolution and quick upload time. The longer Twitter videos give you more time to explain your motive to your audience and let you engage with them in an effective manner.
What’s the Current Twitter Video Limit in Terms of Length, File Size
Twitter has a maximum video length limit of limit of 2 minutes and 20 seconds or total of 140 seconds. You can also upload videos up to 10 minutes in length, for that you need to contact your Twitter account manager [applicable only for business accounts]. When it comes to video file size, you can upload a video with a limit of up to 1 GB. For more than 1GB, you need to lower the resolution and/or the bitrate.
What is the best video format for Twitter?
Twitter Supports two file formats: MP4 (preferred) and MOV (less-loved child). According to us, MP4 is the best format to use for videos on Twitter.
- Minimum resolution: 32×32
- Maximum resolution: 1920×1200 and 1200 x 1900
- Recommended resolutions/aspect ratios: 1280×720 (landscape), 720×1280 (portrait), 720×720 (square)
- Twitter video limit on file size: 512 MB
- Twitter limit on frame rate: 60 frames per second (FPS)
- Recommended frame rates: 30 and 60 FPS
If you don’t follow any of the specifications above, you may face issues regarding twitter video quality either you are embedding a Twitter video or just uploading it. This may also be the reason behind Why Twitter videos not playing on chrome.